Monday, February 9, 2009

The why of it all...

Number one question I've gotten: why? Why would you even want to teach abroad? Why go all the way to London to interview for international teaching jobs when there are jobs right here in the US?

Well, my answer to that would take a lot longer than I have room for, but here's the short and sweet version.

It's my passion. I student taught in Hong Kong for two months and had the best teaching experience of my life. Ever since then, it's been my goal to teach in an international school.

Now what an international school is NOT:
  • a military school; these schools have nothing to do with the Department of Defense
  • a missionary school; these are not religious schools
  • an American school just like in the US with American kids only
The schools I applied for have many different backgrounds but the common theme is that parents wanted an English language education for their students. Curriculum is usually the International Baccalaureate program for elementary (called PYP) or an American curriculum adapted for an international audience.

So enough introduction...let's here about my trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment