Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hello, love

A lot of times I think we forget God is in control of everything. I mean, everything. What you wore today, the path you took to work, the amount of sunlight you got or didn't get, everything was due to God's provision and guidance.

Friday night was orientation night. There were 450 candidates and recruiters in one room, nervous, waiting to hear where there were openings. I sat alone, with my bag of resumes and tissues (I was getting over a cold) and someone sat down next to me. Not a random someone. Alicia. Alicia Pashby from Michigan. Alicia Pashby from Michigan who went to Hope College and is my age and is a Christian. 450 people. She was placed next to me.

We talked. And talked. We sat through the presentation and I assured her it would be okay. We talked and planned and talked. The next morning we ate breakfast together and the morning after that. We went to church together. Every time we saw each other in the hallway we talked and prayed and encouraged each other.

We're still emailing. She got a job and I could rejoice with her.

What would have happened if I hadn't said, "Hello". If I had kept to myself and been so worried about my own situation that I didn't take the time to look around. I would have lost a lot.

So look around. You never know when love, encouragement, friendship or grace may be sitting right next to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment