Monday, February 9, 2009

Flying with Skot

I've flown long distances by myself before. I've done a 15 hour flight in two legs to Hong Kong...4 times so the 10 hour flight to London non-stop seemed easy. Oh yeah and I was flying British Airways. I flew them when I went to Italy two years ago and loved my experience.

So I flew out of LAX since they had a non-stop and it was considerably cheaper. My lovely parents drove me up to the airport and off I went through the international terminal that is getting a huge overhaul. You literally are walking on exposed cement and the walls are made of plywood. Welcome to Los Angeles, everyone!

As I was lingering around the gate waiting to board, I noticed a few characters. With a plane this big, you're always going to have a few interesting people. There was the Sheik family that kind of freaked the Americans out, but didn't bother me. Just because men wear turbans doesn't mean they are all terrorists. I mean, most people wouldn't even recognize that they are Indian, not Arab and it's a totally different ideal. Also I had an Indian professor once who went on and on about the differences because she was tired of being stopped at every single airport she went to. But then I digress...

There was one guy who had a nicer purse than me and his carry-on was a big pleather black bag with gigantic red letters that said, "100% SEXY!" Haha...yeah, he was definitely from LA. And as I found my seat and sat down, Mr. 100% SEXY! turned out to be my seat-mate. His name was Skot and he was on his way to Oslo, Norway and was super nervous. Not to fly, of course, but of being cold. In a rare event that could only have been orchestrated by Jesus, the middle seat was open and Skot and I got to spread out. Woohoo!

Also a big woohoo for the fact that British Airways updated their entertainment system and now each screen was a touchscreen where I could choose from 36 movies, 25 TV shows, about 40 CDs and a whole host of other things to eat up time. It had a pause, rewind, fastforward button and everything. Which is great especially if you have to go to the bathroom and don't want to miss the most crucial scene of a movie.

The flight was uneventful and as usual I didn't sleep a bit. I did manage to watch 95% of The Duchess but tragically, we landed before I could see the ending.

I said goodbye to Skot and breezed through immigration before picking up my luggage and heading off to the Tube...

No comments:

Post a Comment